The world recently lost a wonderful piece of nerd culture in actor John Hurt. He was 77 years old, and had played a key role in many of our favorite fandoms over his long career. He was in Hellboy, V for Vendetta, and Dr. Who; and we could think of no better tribute than a tutorial for his beloved character of Mr. Ollivander. Garrick Ollivander made and sold the wands that everyone used in a little shop in Daigon Alley, and the wisdom he imparted on Harry and his crew was instrumental in their ultimately defeating Lord Voldemort. Let’s take a look at his character design from the Harry Potter movies.
Mr. Ollivander Character Design
Mr. Ollivander’s fashion is definitely a rendition of the disheveled, slightly frumpy genius. He wears multiple layers and looks like he may not own a comb. You may get a good start on this cosplay at a local thrift store. Take a look:
Mr. Ollivander Cosplay
In general, you’ll want the various pieces to fit a little large on you for the ideal look.
Supply list includes:
- Long red coat- In a thick, heavy fabric. Make it floor length.
- Grey tweed coat- longer than your waist, with large lapels.
- White dress shirt- with a wing tip collar. It may be hard to find one with the puffy sleeves, but modifying the sleeves yourself will not be difficult
- Black slacks
- Black loafers
- A scarf- It should be skinny or made of a thinner fabric so that you can tie it around your neck.
- A white wig- you’re looking for medium length or longer.
Details to remember:
- The brass buttons on his grey coat go all the way to the bottom. Add some if your coat does not already have them.
- Consider weathering your clothes if they don’t already look well-worn. Here are a few different techniques you can choose from courtesy MangoSirene.
- Tease the wig with some hairspray for that “aging genius” look.
- For a fun prop, buy or make several different wands and carry them in a pocket. Maybe consider a leather tool belt of wand-carving tools.
Make sure that you tag us or use the #CosplayKiss when you share your awesome Mr. Ollivander cosplay on social media!